The application deadline for Fall 2020 admission is December 12th, 2019.
We're excited you're applying here! Here are the things you will need to submit in order to be considered for acceptance.
- You will need to first submit an application to the UGA Graduate School, which can be found here. Information regarding application materials can be found here. Please be sure to read it carefully!
- You will need to also submit the Communication Studies Departmental application and submit it to Angie Switon, Graduate Coordinator Assistant, at email@example.com. Ms. Switon is also available by phone at 706-542-3269. This includes all department materials (cover sheet; curriculum vitae; answers to question prompts regarding graduate study; writing sample) as one (1) .pdf. You can find the departmental application here.
- Please feel free to direct any questions to our graduate coordinator, Belinda Stillion Southard, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-542-4893.
How do I learn more about the program? Explore our website!
What are your admission requirements?
Admission and assistantship decisions are based on a holistic examination of credentials presented, including previous academic performance (transcripts), three letters of recommendation, a writing sample, statement of objectives, and GRE scores. Ideally we admit students who have strong credentials in all of these areas. However, a deficiency in one area does not eliminate an applicant from consideration.
- MA Program Admission: To be admitted to the MA program we look for undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, a GRE Verbal Score of at least 153, a GRE Quantitative Score of at least 144, as well as strong letters and a very good paper.
- PhD Program Admission: To be admitted to our PhD program we look for graduate GPAs of at least 3.5, a GRE Verbal Score of at least 153, a GRE Quantitative Score of at least 144, as well as exceptionally strong letters and an excellent paper.
- All international applicants must have a TOEFL iBT speaking score of at least 26 or an IELTS score of at least 7.5 to be considered for a teaching assistantship. TOEFL scores are required as part of the application. For information regarding minimum TOEFL/IELTS scores for admission to the Graduate School, go to http://grad.uga.edu/index.php/prospective-students/international-application-information/international-supplement/english-language-proficiency-requirement/
- We do not accept MCAT, LSAT, or GMAT scores.
- Note: These general guidelines neither preclude nor assure admission.
How many students typically apply?
The number of applicants varies from year to year. We expect between 50-100 applicants in any given year.
What is your acceptance rate?
We generally admit between 2-6 MA students and 2-8 PhD students a year but it varies from year to year depending on the fit of a given student to the program as well as available assistantships.
Do you admit students without funding?
Do you admit part-time students?
At this time, no.
Do you offer evening classes or graduate classes online?
At this time, no.